You read correctly, this is ‘Day 0’– my preparation day to a healthier me. I have been doing CrossFit for about eight months now– on and off– and am ready to take an even deeper plunge. I decided to sign myself up for the Whole30 Challenge.
I was on the Paleo diet/lifestyle for about a month throughout my eight month journey with CrossFit, and was really excited that I was seeing results. I only lost a few pounds, but I shed inches like a madwoman. It was great! It was the best timing too, with summer right around the corner. However, summer treats got the best of me and I spiraled out of control. I went to the river for the Fourth of July which led to a mass consumption of alcohol and poor decisions when it came to my food intake. There was no stopping me. I ate anything and everything in sight. I gained everything I had worked for right back, and then some. I am not too proud of myself this past summer. My self-esteem and the confidence I was once exuberating, is now just a shadow that follows me around, taunting me everywhere I go.
After taking about a month and a half break from CrossFit and my overall healthy lifestyle, I am deciding right now, that I need to change…again.
Enter the Whole30.
Now that you know and understand what the hell I am talking about, I hope, nay, plan to post whatever daily exercises my Whole30 emails tell me to right here. This has more to do with my personal accountability than anything, but I invite you to join me on my journey. Perhaps it may inspire you to do the Whole30 yourself.
Now on to my Day 0 activity– my mental preparation…
Worksheet #1: Self-Evaluation- Goal setting for your Whole30
- Nutrition: I will pack a healthy lunch/dinner for work at least three times per week. On the days I do not pack my lunch, I will stay true to my Whole30 challenge when ordering from work (working in a restaurant has its perks…and its unhealthy downfalls).
- Sleep: I will get at least six to seven hours of sleep per day throughout the next 30 days.
- Stress Management: I will get a massage at least once this next month.
- Exercise: I will exercise for at least 45 minutes to an hour at least four days a week.
- Active Recovery: I will go for a run alone at least once a week after working out.
- Injury Rehab: I will scale any of my workouts that will prevent me from re-injuring or aggravating any injuries I may have or get over the next 30 days.
- Fun and Play: I will do something fun and active at least once a week (for example, go on a hike or ride a bike).
- Personal Growth: I will read at least one book on nutrition/health during my Whole30 (It Starts With Food is my jumping off point).
- Temperance: I will limit my television by not starting to watch any new TV series that I do not already watch.
The worksheet says to only do a few so you don’t overwhelm yourself, but I decided to give all of them a try. What might some of your goals be to help you change your life?